[CT Birds] Inland DC Cormorants

paul cianfaglione pgcianfaglione at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 12:20:25 EDT 2012

One of my birding quests this year has been to find inland nesting
Double-crested Cormorants in the Hartford area. So far this year I have
found eight cormorants hanging out at the Riverside Park Sewage Pond in
Hartford and another two at the Wethersfield Cove. All of the birds except
for two have been immature birds, which makes sense. This morning I
happened upon a pair of adults at the Charter Oak Landing in Hartford. They
were standing together on rocks at the end of a jetty where there are some
smaller shrubs, a perfect place to have a nest. The two looked very much
like a pair, with head swinging and wing-waving, but I'm not positive.
There is a Bald Eagle nest nearby, so this may dissuade them from deciding
to try, if that's what is on their mind. The last attempt that I know of
was at King's Island in Enfield during the last breeding bird atlas, a
nesting that was never corroborated. Does anyone know of any recent inland
attempts of nesting by Double-crested Cormorants??

Paul Cianfaglione
Canton