[CT Birds] Fairfield Parula

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Sat Jun 16 17:57:58 EDT 2012

Believe it or not, (considering the coincidence with Alex's report) this
morning while working in my front yard I heard a single song of what I'm
sure was a Black-throated Green Warbler in the neighbor's yard across the
street. I went over for a look, couldn't find the bird and didn't hear it
again. I have no more idea what to make of that than Alex does of his
Parula, but over the years I have encountered these weird one-off passerines
in the first half of June on occasion. Actually I heard an Eastern
Wood-Pewee behind our house 2 days ago, although they do breed occasionally
in woods around the edge of our neighborhood. B-t Green certainly does not.
My guess would be migrants that are late possibly because for some reason
they are not in breeding condition, but that's just a guess.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury