[CT Birds] Northern Parula

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Sat Jun 16 21:10:46 EDT 2012

A few additional comments about Northern Parula in CT in June: Judy Moore
and I saw a male N. Parula on the New Haven SBC last year (around June 10th
or so) in Ansonia.  In looking at the range map for the species, it is
noteable that they breed south, west, and north of CT.  Perhaps we are
seeing unmated birds that have wandered from their typical breeding areas in
search of a mate.  Although, I agree with Greg that some of these late
migrants that we see from time to time may be birds that encountered trouble
or became injured on their northbound journey, delaying their movements.
Obviously, we'll never know for sure, but it is interesting to speculate.
Seeing the unexpected is part of what makes birding such a great pastime.

Chris Loscalzo,

Woodbridge