[CT Birds] Fantastic "Mulberry tree" !

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 17 10:59:05 EDT 2012

I am lucky enough to have a mature "Mulberry tree" in my yard.
If you ever want to have one plant in your yard that will attract more birds,
this is the one! At this time of year the berries are red, not even ripe blue
yet! I have been keeping a list of bird species that have eaten the berries of
this tree for 4 years now, and here is the list...
ps) It helps to be retired in giving one time to observe.

     New Birds seen eating berries this year, so far! -

Tree Swallow - feeding young?
Turkey - Berries under the tree.
Mourning dove
Pileated Woodpecker
Crow
Grackle
Starling
Hermit Thrush
Red-e-Vireo - poss (all possible seen in tree searching about, but could be
                            looking for insects. Will continue to follow to see
if eats berries)
Pine warbler - poss
Chickadee - Poss
House finch - poss
Goldfinch

Birds seen eating berries over last 3 years -
Flicker
Downey Woodpecker
Hairy
Red-bellied
Sapsucker
Baltimore Oriole
Scarlet Tanager
Robin
Bluebird
Catbird
Cedar waxwing
Blue jay
Cardinal
Rose-b-Grosbeak
Purple Finch

24 species total so far, with 4 Possible and counting! - not a bad count!

Paul Carrier - Harwinton