[CT Birds] Eastern phoebe "kids" fledge - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 18 14:17:13 EDT 2012

I had been wondering when the eastern phoebe "kids" in the nest under our outer front porch were going to fledge. I had my answer yesterday morning when the phoebe nest appeared to be empty. I had previously put a ladder twice to check on the nest to see  what was going with the nest. About a month ago or so I found about five eggs in the nest, none appearing to be cow bird eggs. Weekend before last I checked the nest and found 5 eastern phoebe young, who all appeared to no longer have their downy feathers. The nest was crowded and the young birds did not move at all when I checked out the nest. This past week we noted the young birds hanging out on top of the nest looking like they were about to "jump ship". Mom phoebe was around keeping any potential 'problems' for the young birds at bay. Again this past Sunday morning the nest was empty and today I doubled checked the nest by climbing up the ladder to have a look, finding the nest empty.  I noted
 today two phoebes on the clothing line behind our house but could not tell if the phoebes were young birds or not. Since we want to reclaim our outer front porch for upcoming hot weather I took the phoebe nest down today. I know phoebes have two to three broods a year so I suspect MA phoebe was had not" happy" with my taking down her nest.

David W Babington
Washington, CT