[CT Birds] where to get native tree and shrub species

Carole Donagher cdonagher at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 20:51:31 EDT 2012

Hi All

To my knowledge the State does not grow native trees and shrubs for sale.  However, the DEEP maintains a listing of CT native trees and shrubs and the nurseries from which they might be purchased.  See the list at
http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/wildlife/pdf_files/habitat/ntvtree.pdf

I would note, however, that I have been able to find some native trees and shrubs at "regular" nurseries...you just have to be careful to be sure to get the right variety of the tree or shrub.  Agway in Southington is one example.  I have also found it helpful to ask the nursery staff if they have
 a section of natives, or can suggest any natives, which they frequently do.

I would also note that the not-for-profit local conservation districts (I know there is an Eastern CT Conservation District and a Northwest Conservation District) each have plant sales in the spring which offer for sale trees, shrubs, perennials, vines, etc, some native and some not, but they are clearly labelled as such in their catalog).  I have had very good luck with using these two sources.  While these might not be the cheapest place to buy plantings, they are a great cause to support.

Good Luck!
Carole Donagher
Farmington