[CT Birds] where to get native tree and shrub species

twomirers at comcast.net twomirers at comcast.net
Mon Jun 18 22:09:42 EDT 2012

When looking for mulberry trees for planting in your yards, you might want to consider looking specifically for the red mulberry (Morus rubra). It is the species native to this part of the eastern U.S. Many other species are available in various garden catalogs. They were initially brought to the U.S. by silk merchants attempting to raise silkworms here. The center for this industry, as many of you know, was in Manchester, CT.

Rob Mirer

Moodus