[CT Birds] Mulberry trees

zellene sandler zellene at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 20 07:53:16 EDT 2012

I have a mulberry tree that planted itself in my yard, next to my driveway.
It creates a mess on the pavement, so be sure not to plant one nearby. I
usually get robins, catbirds and a few other common species eating the
berries, but last year and this year, squirrels have taken over and they
eat the unripened berries. I don't even get a few for my morning oatmeal!
The squirrels never used to bother the berries...don't know why they
started doing this.

I also have some wild wineberries in the back...they are considered
invasive, but I manage to control them. They are delicious, and the birds
seem to like them, too. So far no squirrels, maybe because they have thorns.