[CT Birds] mulberry issues

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Wed Jun 20 14:04:04 EDT 2012

Very good points Anthony. As much as we humans love the idea that there is one thing that causes a problem (whether ecologically, socially, economically, etc), it is very rarely the case. We as a society also want there to be a simple and singular solution (and a rapidly effective one) to every problem. Sadly this also is very rarely the case. As you alluded, there are probably a number of contributing factors to the loss of a self sustaining population of Bobwhite in CT, though their rather complex habitat needs (and the loss of it in CT) may be the single most significant factor.

Ideally any population recovery of native plants or animals should involve bolstering that specific genetic population. I did use the qualifier "ideally" of course. One thing the purchaser can do is to ask the source of the plant they are acquiring and to patronize suppliers who are at least attempting to provide plant stock developed from local populations.

Dave

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.