[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 17:09:11 EDT 2012

6/20 Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center.  10 AM-1PM-sunny, high
tide rising.
10 Purple Martins flying around the gourds, cardinals, mockingbirds,
robins, starlings, mourning doves with 2 juveniles in a nest, tree
swallows, Red Winged blackbirds , common grackles. In the marsh were 2
mallards, snowy egrets, Great egrets, a D.C. Cormorant and mute swans.
At 10AM the male osprey was on his perch and the female on the nest. The
lens of the camera is fogged up from "excrement".  Hopefully the rain will
clear it. There was some housekeeping-bringing in branches and arranging
them.  There have been 3 extra ospreys flying around and over the nest.
One of them had its legs extended and just about landed on the nest.  Lots
of loud calling by our pair and the male flew in chase of that osprey.
That osprey also landed on our male's perch, which set our male in pursuit
again.  The other two extra ospreys were circling the nest platform alot
today. Since there were no fish deliveries that I could see, these extra
ospreys could possibly be juveniles from past years?
Beverly Propen, Orange