[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Ashford, 2-20-12

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Jun 21 18:27:23 EDT 2012

Despite the heat or maybe because of it, the birds have been very active in
 the area this week. I was able to ID 3 singing Red-breasted Nuthatches in
one  day - the most I've ever had there (maybe anywhere). And it's always
been  mid-July in the past before I've heard/seen them. "The book" shows their
 breeding season from early May to mid June, so perhaps their young are
fledged  now and they are keeping track of the family.
In fact I have seen fledglings of many of the BH breeders before "the book"
 says their breeding season should have begun, and it appears many species
started 2 weeks to a month early, even though they did not arrive
particularly  early (a week maybe, in most cases). So far that includes Winter Wrens,
Northern  and Louisiana Waterthrushes, Phoebes, Hairy Woodpeckers and
Yellow-bellied  Sapsuckers, and I'm sure that's a very incomplete list.
A pair of Acadian Flycatchers has been near the north bridge for a month
now, so I have no doubt they are a nesting pair. For a few days there  were a
couple of Alder Flycatchers, but they seem to have moved on now. And  there
are 3 calling Least Flycatchers that I know of.

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Jun 20, 2012 7:45 AM - 12:45  PM
Protocol: Traveling
9.0 mile(s)
58 species