[CT Birds] probable Royal Terns

charles barnard jr chbarnjr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 13:15:20 EDT 2012

Just to clarify on those terns: I didn't get a good enough look at the
terns to be able to make an ID which I could be certain about

I was on the downslope of the beach on the LIS side of Pleasure Beach when
I noticed 6 very large terns flying by the breakwater and up into
Bridgeport Harbor. The birds were only a couple of feet above the water's
surface and disappeared behind the raised upper beach of Pleasure Beach
before I could really get on them with binoculars. In the extremely brief
view that I had of them, they appeared to be somewhat slender overall - too
slender to be Caspian Terns. They were way outside the length and wingspan
ranges to be any of the more usual terns. I walked up the harbor to the
burned out bridge but could not relocate them

My impression was Royal Tern -,but an impression was all that it was,
Charlie Barnard Jr
Stratford