[CT Birds] Whimbrel in Stonington/Westerly area

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Sun Jun 24 19:18:39 EDT 2012

Today during a walk at Napatree Pt. in Watch Hill/Westerly, RI, my husband and I observed 1 Whimbrel in the lagoon portion of the point.  It flew off toward the mainland area of Stonington/Westerly mid afternoon but by late afternoon was back at Napatree.

Also 1 Am. Oystercatcher flying from Barn Island area towards Napatree.

Other shorebirds seen: 5 PIPING PLOVERS (saw one nest with 3 eggs), many Common Terns and just a few Least Terns,  2 Spotted Sandpipers, several Willets, several flocks of Semi-palmated Sandpipers, 1Semi-palmated Plover.

Also at least 2 Osprey nests in the area with chicks.

I suspect that there were many more shorebirds and terns just around the corner from where we were forced to stop our walk due to a breach which we could not cross due to it being high tide.  Later in the week when I go again I will do this same walk at low tide and I am sure I will see more Oystercatchers and more Semi-palmated Plovers and who knows what else.

Carolyn Cimino
Sent from my iPad