[CT Birds] 6/26 Hammonasset evening - apparent hybrid heron

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 21:20:09 EDT 2012

Carolyn Sedgwick and I spent a few hours at Hammonasset this evening.
Skies were partly to mostly cloudy with a cool WNW breeze. There are
some nice rain pools at the west end, but they did not hold anything
of note today. The highlight was one of those oddball Tricolored-like
Herons in the nature center marsh. Details and photos to follow - I
will post to CTBirds when I get the photos up in a day or two. A very
cool bird.

We also had 4 Little Blue Herons (3 adults and one pied immature), 8
Glossy Ibis, Clapper Rail, 2 Roseate Tern foraging offshore with a
feeding flock of 150 Common Terns, Willow Flycatcher, Marsh Wren, and
an Orchard Oriole.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT