[CT Birds] July Birding Activities

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Fri Jun 29 09:59:14 EDT 2012

Folks,

The New Haven Bird Club has one field trip scheduled in July, and the
Connecticut Ornithological Association is holding a Long-legged Wader
Workshop.  NHBC members should note there has been an itinerary
change from previously published information for the Central CT
Birding Tour field trip.

Central CT Birding Tour.  Saturday, July 7, 2012, 7:00 am. Free.
The itinerary for the field trip to central CT on July 7th has
changed. The first stop of the trip will be Northwest Park in
Windsor. We will not be visiting Rentschler Field as the fields there
have been mowed and there will be a Fourth of July festival there
that day.  Then, we’ll go to Station 43, along the CT River in South
Windsor or Great Pond State Forest in Simsbury.  Meet at the commuter
lot at 7:00 am on Route 68 in Wallingford, west of I-91 at Exit 15
(at the east end of Barnes Road) or at the Cabela’s parking lot in
East Hartford (near the pond) at 7:30am.  Leader—Chris Loscalzo: 203
389-6508, closcalz at optonline.net.

COA Long-legged Waders Workshop.  Saturday, July 21st, 2012 at 9:00
am.  Barn Island Wildlife Management Area, Stonington.
Learn how to identify herons, egrets, and ibis.  Learn how to
differentiate between similar species, such as juvenile Black-crowned
and Yellow-crowned Night Heron.  Learn about their feeding and
nesting habits.  The workshop will be geared towards beginner and
intermediate birders.  Meet at the gravel parking lot opposite the
Marsh Viewing area, just north of the boat launch.  We’ll spend some
time discussing the different waders, then go out on the trail to see
what we can find.  Barn Island WMA is located at the end of Palmer
Neck Road in Stonington.  Bring plenty of bug spray and sunscreen.
Free and open to the public.  Leader:  Chris Loscalzo at
closcalz at optonline.net or 203-389-6508.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director