[CT Birds] Moodus Breeding Birds

twomirers at comcast.net twomirers at comcast.net
Fri Jun 29 20:53:32 EDT 2012

At 7:30 this evening I observed a Cooper’s Hawk feeding a fledgling in a white pine in the woods behind my house. From frequent sightings and vocalizations, I suspected they were nesting nearby; this is the first confirmation.
While watching the Cooper’s Hawks, I heard vocalizations from 2 other probable nearby breeders-Pileated Woodpecker and Broad-winged Hawk. The suspected Broad-winged nest is about 600 feet away from where I saw the Coops.
Another confirmed breeder, in a sugar maple 30 feet from my house, is Yellow-throated Vireo. There is a Chipping Sparrow nest in a hemlock even closer than that.
Other probable breeders in my yard or adjoining properties are Red-shouldered Hawk, Great Crested Flycatcher, E Phoebe, Red-eyed Vireo, Scarlet Tanager, E. Bluebird, Pine Warbler, Ovenbird, and Wood Thrush.
Just the kind of scene I was hoping for when we moved out of the burbs.
Rob Mirer