[CT Birds] Milford Point Gull Billed Tern

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Sun Jul 1 21:01:12 EDT 2012

My sons and I checked out Milford Point around Noon Sunday.  Tide was high but falling.  While there a GULL-BILLED TERN flew in from the east and joined a large flock of Common Terns at the end of the sandbar.  We watched it for a while, staying with the flock as it periodically took flight and returned.  Nice surprise!  We had hoped for skimmers but had none.  Several OYSTERCATCHERS appeared to be nesting as well as PIPING PLOVERS, two DOWITCHERS flew over and a couple LEAST TERNS were feeding.
-Sean Murtha