[CT Birds] 7/4 Stratford & Sandy Pt

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 12:54:47 EDT 2012

With Milford Pt closed and Hammonasset likely a madhouse today, Phil
Rusch and I birded the Stratford coast and Sandy Pt in West Haven in
search of shorebirds and terns, from 0545 to 1100. There was a nice
movement of Short-billed Dowitchers and Least Sandpipers first thing
in the morning as birds were moving down the coast east to west, some
stopping briefly to feed on the mudflats. We had two fresh juvenile
Ring-billed Gulls and several adults in breeding plumage. Swallows
were also on the move. Highlights below.

Stratford, Short Beach:
Semipalmated Plover  1
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Least Sandpiper  25
Short-billed Dowitcher  120
Laughing Gull  1
Ring-billed Gull  40     including one fresh juv and many alternate adults
Least Tern  10
Common Tern  40
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  1
Bank Swallow  2

Stratford, Knapps Landing:
Short-billed Dowitcher  15
Common Tern  4
Black Skimmer  1     adult on mudflat along river

West Haven, Sandy Pt:
Brant  1
Semipalmated Plover  2
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Sanderling  1     basic plumage, continuing from visit a few days ago
Least Sandpiper  1     adult
Short-billed Dowitcher  8
Tree Swallow  20     apparently migrating flock, moving down the coast

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT