[CT Birds] Access Road pools in Stratford

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:01:18 EDT 2012

The pool(s) along Access Road in Stratford, across from the R.E.
Michel building, are a magnet for shorebirds when the water level is
low. It is the most reliable location for Stilt Sandpiper in the
state, and it has attracted such rarities as Ruff and Red-necked
Phalarope in recent years. We stopped there today to find that the
phragmites have grown so tall that one cannot effectively view the
main pool. Does anyone know if there's something that the birding
community can do to remove some of the phrags so that we can bird this
productive spot? I'm not sure of the protocol for such a thing.

FYI the water level is currently too high for shorebirds.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT