[CT Birds] OT Maps

Mike Warner mjwarner at optonline.net
Wed Jul 4 13:11:36 EDT 2012

  This past Spring I needed a suitable printed map to chase the Northern Shrike in Southbury.  Usually I pre-trip an unknown location on Hawkcount maps and use paper maps as a back-up.  My local CVS (in Fairfield County) told me they don't carry paper maps any more when I asked for them.  I had the same answer from the local Stop&Shop supermarket.  At Walmart I checked the aisle I was directed to, and couldn't find them, but that may have been my fault.  Somewhere along Rt 84, I stopped for gas and found a large selection of maps.  I picked the Rand McNally Fairfield, Litchfield and New Haven County Booklet, which, even though it was shiny new, carries a 2004 copyright date.  To be sure, map makers have cut back on printed maps and have pursued a digital format which is much more profitable.  If you prefer a printed map in your vehicle, I 'm not saying you should run out today and buy the map you may need in the future, but you may want to do it soon, and don't forget to check the copyright date.
     Here is a good article with more detail about the changeover from printed to digital format;

http://news.yahoo.com/paper-maps-amid-gps-boom-nostalgia-finds-place-064419859--finance.html

Good luck and have a happy 4th of July!

Mike Warner
Wilton CT.