[CT Birds] Young first year male rose-breasted grosbeak - Window strike, Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 6 13:35:31 EDT 2012

I noted about a half and hour ago the body of a bird in front of the glass window of the front porch of our house here on South St in Washington, CT. When I went out to examine the bird I realized it was a young male (first year/winter) rose-breasted grosbeak. While I had replaced the UV markers on the windows on this side house to prevent birds from hitting windows this did not help this young grosbeak unfortunately. I have only had one other bird death as a result of a bird hitting a window here so far here this year, a veery that hit the front porch window before I put up new UV markers on the front window. If anyone has UV markers on their windows to prevent bird strikes remember the UV markers need to replaced about once a year or so. I get my UV markers to prevent birds hitting windows from a Duncraft company in New Hampshire but I am sure any good store that sells bird feeding supplies here in CT would likely also sell UV markers to prevent bird
 strikes on windows.

David W Babington
Washington, CT