[CT Birds] Red-tailed hawk

Tom Conroy conroyjt at comcast.net
Sat Jul 7 07:40:59 EDT 2012

I have been entertained the last two weeks by a juvenile red tail that fledged in my yard. It perches on my deck railing, regularly visits the small birdbath to drink and bathe, crashes into the feeders in pursuit of goldfinches and eats chipmunks from its parents atop our screen house. It also swoops down on sticks in the yard like they are prey; covering them with open wings, stamping on and off them and switching them from one foot to the other. I did not know they did that.