[CT Birds] Harkness this morn

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 12:44:55 EDT 2012

While monitoring PP and Least Terns at Harkness SP in Waterford this morn and basically standing in one spot my husband and I had the following:

2 Common Loons
4 Am. Oystercatchers
1 Semi-palmated Plover
3 Piping Plovers, 2 of which were taking turns on a nest with 4 eggs (3rd nesting attempt)
20+ Common Terns
6 Least Terns
2 Osprey

Did not see any Roseates this morn.

BTW, people were very cooperative about staying away from the roped off areas.  I think the hazy conditions this morn may have kept some of the masses away from Harkness and closer to New London harbor.  (It is OPSail/Tall Ships weekend).

Also, volunteers and officials were passing out a very colorful and informative brochure on Piping Plovers prepared by CT Audubon, Audubon Of CT, and Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds.   Lots of homo sapiens got a good dose of education today.

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford
Sent from my iPad