[CT Birds] Backyard Nursery

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 7 12:54:03 EDT 2012

I've a pile of newly fledged, tail-wagging, tame and vocal Eastern Phoebes,
flitting about, piling up on the clothesline, and plopping onto the lawn.  They
are joining 2-3 newly fledged noisy titmice and a family of noisy House Wrens.
The male wren still flits about  his various nests, including a Bluebird house
and a delightfully tacky Indonesian terra cotta cat (with a gaping mouth for a
nest hole).  All this amidst the constant yelping of an overhead Northern
Raven, the occassional cries of a Red-shouldered Hawk (courtesy of a bona fide
Red-shouldered Hawk as well as a couple Blue Jays).

Off topic, yesterday at Bethany's Schilf Preserve, I chased down a large female
Box Turtle.  With all my trampsing around in appropriate habitat, this is only
my fifth Box Turtle sighting in a decade.

Steve Mayo
Bethany