[CT Birds] OT Box Turtle

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 7 13:38:24 EDT 2012

Steve of all the Box Turtles I've seen over the years, I bet more than half
have been seen crossing roads. This despite MANY miles walked/hiked in
appropriate habitat. In fact the last one I saw I rescued as it was crossing
Rte 206 in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey a week or so ago (thank you to the
SEVEN cars who swerved to not crush it before I could get to it!). It was
one of five species of turtle I found on the trip (Box, Red Bellied,
Painted, Spotted, and Stinkpot). So I'm not surprised you've seen as few as
you have.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England