[CT Birds] OT Box Turtle

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Jul 7 20:47:56 EDT 2012

Eastern box turtles were recently down-listed on the IUCN list to "Vulnerable", which is on par with Saltmarsh Sparrow and actually of higher concern on this list than Piping Plover, which is "Near Threatened".  Wood turtles are outright "Endangered" on the list now, which is the same category as Cahow or Golden-cheeked Warbler.  I don't believe we have any red-list endangered birds in CT.  Roseate Terns, though the NW Atlantic population is federally endangered, is listed as "Least Concern" on the list because of the status of the tropical Indo-Pacific subspecies, which are pretty widespread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUCN_Red_List

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut