[CT Birds] ROYAL TERN & admin note

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Jul 8 18:04:08 EDT 2012

Nice bird, Frank!

Frank's post raises a point of esoterica about posting to CTBirds.  I try not to bother people with this sort of detail, but sometimes details intrude.

It is common for infected computers to send dangerous emails to a long list of recipients from the infected computer's address book.  Because of that, the software that is behind CTBirds has a filter in place so that any message with six or more recipients is HELD FOR MY REVIEW.  This stops a LOT of nasty messages from reaching everyone, but it can also delay good messages like Frank's Royal Tern report.  This time there was well over an hour delay before I saw the message and released it; it could have been minutes, but it also could have been days.

So when you have that really rare bird to report it might be best to send one copy to CTBirds and another to everyone else you want to shout out to.  Otherwise the copy going to CTBirds might get out very late.

Thanks, and good birding!

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT