[CT Birds] 7/10 - Marsh Wren, Little Pond, White Memorial Foundation; Gnatcatcher sunning on terrace, Granby

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Tue Jul 10 17:19:27 EDT 2012

We were surprised to hear the Marsh Wren singing from a stand of cattails next to the boardwalk on the north side of Little Pond.  It gave one burst of song while in flight, and also carried a beakful of nest material into a small thicket, from which we heard a second bird giving contact (or alarm?) notes.

On returning home to Granby, we were mesmerized by the sight of a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher sunning on a rail tie forming part of our backyard terrace.  The tiny bird returned to the spot, two feet above the ground, at least three more times and lay there spread-eagled (or spread-gnatcatchered) with its beak open.

John Weeks