[CT Birds] Stratford BLACK TERN

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 10 17:21:57 EDT 2012

7/10 - Stratford, Short Beach - I observed Charlie's BLACK TERN at this same
location today 3:35-4:30 pm.  It was still perched
on the north end of the breakwater, but flew around occasionally.  This bird was
a molting fall adult, with quite uniformly gray above and below, with white on
the throat, face, and undertail. The belly was mostly gray but had some white
mottling.   Visibilty was excellent (no haze nor heat shimmer) with the
afternoon light, but a good, powerful scope is required, due to the distance
involved.  Also present here were 1 adult ROSEATE TERN, 220+ Common Terns
(including my first 2 juveniles of the year), 6 Least Terns, and 1 Sanderling.

Also, the shorebird pond an Access Road, opposite R.E. Michel, now has lower
water levels (due to the hot sunny dry weather). Three Lesser Yellowlegs were
feeding there this afternoon.  High tide is usually best here.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford