[CT Birds] Audubon's Shearwater - Montauk

Mike Horn mfhorn at att.net
Fri Jul 13 21:34:51 EDT 2012

Hi All, Last Wed 7/11/12, I had the good fortune to see and photograph an Audubon's Shearwater about 8 miles south of Montauk Point. I was fluke fishing on the Helen III out of Groton, CT. AUSH are usually found in the Gulf Stream way out to sea. I looked at the surface water temp map in the area I was fishing and discovered that we were in the Gulf Stream hot zone which was just about to the south shore of Long Island and crossed to Cape Cod - most unusual. This also explains why we were getting our fill of monster doormat fluke. This is my first AUSH. Regards to all, Mike Horn - Hamden, CT