[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, 7-16-12 - and an ID problem

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 15:51:08 EDT 2012

I'll start with the ID problem:
 I saw a bird this AM which I did not recognize, and I can't find  a match
for it. It appeared to be a smallish sparrow (first thought was a juvie
Chipping, which are all over the place now, but it does not really fit at all).
 The bird was an almost uniform reddish-brown (in bright sun, which could
have  affected that a little) with a somewhat lighter breast (reddish tan)
with  reddish looking stripes. No central spot. There were no obvious wing
bars  or etc. that I could see. And I am fairly certain it had a jet black
bill.  The head had a high, crested look to it. Closest thing I can come to it
is a  juvie Field Sparrow, but the bill doesn't fit.
I only saw the bird for perhaps 10 seconds, but it was only about 8 feet
away and teed up 3 feet high on a bare branch. Any ideas?
As everywhere inland, things are quieting down a bit in Boston Hollow, but
quite a few of the birds are still singing or at least calling.  A total of
 42 species today (including 2 UKN). Aside from the TV's the Scarlet
Tanager and  the 2 UKN's are the only birds I can recall seeing that I did not
hear, and  most were heard only. In particular, all the warblers were silent
(to me) except  BT Green and Ovenbird.The Acadian Flycatcher is still in the
same place and  calling, however.
The most Vociferous birds by far were Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos,
Cedar Waxwings and Am. Goldfinches, with Warbling Vireos a distant  fifth.
Goldfinches were very active (breeding season), as were BG  Gnatcatchers.
Ebird list:
Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
Jul 16, 2012 9:00 AM - 12:45  PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
40 species (+2 other  taxa)