[CT Birds] Invite to Open Space Bill Signing Ceremony

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Jul 18 13:08:17 EDT 2012

Dear CT Birders:

Join us to CELEBRATE WILDLIFE AND OPEN SPACE CONSERVATION at GOVERNOR MALLOY'S BILL SIGNING CEREMONY for S.B. 347 - An Act Concerning the State's Open Space Plan on Thursday, July 19th at 2:30 PM at Sessions Woods Wildlife Management Area, 341 Milford Street (Rte. 69), Burlington, CT 06013-1550, 860-675-8130

The result of a multi-year effort by Audubon Connecticut, CT Audubon Society, Connecticut Land Conservation Council and the Working Lands Alliance, S.B. 347 passed with unanimous support in the 2012 Session.

To celebrate, the Governor is hosting a public signing ceremony at Sessions Woods tomorrow at 2:30 PM.
Please join Audubon Connecticut, the Connecticut Land Conservation Council, Connecticut Audubon Society, Working Lands Alliance and our legislative champions to mark the occasion.

It's a great opportunity to show Governor Malloy how much we appreciate his support for wildlife land conservation. We hope to have a representative from the birding community, every Audubon Society and Chapter, Land Trust, and Conservation Commission in Connecticut!

Click here for HTML invite: http://ct.audubonaction.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=22102.0

About the location: Sessions Woods WMA offers a wide range of great natural history displays and miles of beautiful trails. Sessions Woods is located on Route 69, about three miles south of Route 4 in Burlington and three miles north of Route 6 in Bristol. For directions or more details, go to: http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.aspa=2723&q=326220&depNav_GID=1655

About the bill: Years in the making, the House and Senate passed Public Act 152 with unanimous support during the 2012 session. This legislation strengthens the state's open space conservation efforts by requiring DEEP to:

* Conduct more frequent (not less than every 5 years) and comprehensive updates of the state's open space conservation strategy;
* Identify priorities for acquisition that integrate existing priorities such as wildlife habitat and ecological resources in greatest need of immediate preservation
* Include municipalities and regional plan associations in the planning and prioritization
* Make recommendation for establishing a voluntary statewide registry to keep track of all conserved lands - private, municipal, state, and federal - in a format that is easily accessible to the public; and
* Work with other state agencies to identify lands of conservation value held by those agencies and develop a plan for permanently protecting them.

Read the bill at: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/SUM/2012SUM00152-R03SB-00347-SUM.htm

We look forward to celebrating this victory for Connecticut wildlife and land conservation planning and protection with you on July 19th!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Hope you will join us at Sessions Woods!

- Sandy

Director of Governmental Affairs
Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road