[CT Birds] Sad News from Greenwich

Brendan Murtha bmskua at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 18 15:04:12 EDT 2012

As a result of an intense storm that passed through the Greenwich Area this
afternoon, the Purple Martin nest stand was toppled and splintered.  The stand
held about 8 nests and was very active, although I don't know whether most birds
have fledged.  Once the storm had passed I investigated and found birds still in
the nest gourds which Im assuming hit the beach with some force.  There were
birds still present inside, though I could not tell whether they were dead or
just injured.

A natural cause, but unfortunate nontheless.
 -Brendan Murtha, Norwalk, CT