[CT Birds] ROYAL TERN, COM. EIDERS, WHIMBREL, Western Sands.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 22 21:10:52 EDT 2012

>From Frank Mantlik

7/22  Groton, Avery Point (UConn Campus) - adult ROYAL TERN flying close along
grassy lawn bluff, over Thames River mouth 12:25, 13 COMMON EIDERS on large rock
isle out in river (also later swimming around).  I had stopped here to scan
offshore (unsuccessfully) for Wilson's Storm-Petrels; a place that has been
productive in past years.

Milford, Milford Point - Eight species of shorebirds, including 1 WHIMBREL which
flew in to sandbar with 3 Short-billed Dowitchers at 3:37; also 2000
Semipalmated Sandpipers. 1 adult ROSEATE TERN among 275 Common Terns, 2 Least
Terns.

Stratford, Access Rd. Pond opposite R.E. Michel - 2 Western Sandpipers (appeared
to be 1st-year birds; very gray) among a handful of shorebirds, 4:15.

North Stonington, Assekonk Swamp - With recent appearances of Black-bellied
Whistling-Ducks in MA and NJ, and a report of a Fulvous Whistling-Duck in NJ, I
checked this site (of CT's 3 Fulvous Whistling Ducks in May 1987).  No luck,
except for 4 Wood Ducks, Great Blue Heron.  Access is from rear of soccer field
behind Board of Education/Wheeler Athletic Fields on RT. 2.