[CT Birds] House finch disease

Susanne Shrader birdgirrl at comcast.net
Mon Jul 23 17:12:35 EDT 2012

Many of the fledgeling House Finches are sick again, just like last year at this time.  I sent out a query then and no one had any ideas.  Just like last year, young finches will be sitting very still either on a staging perch near the feeders, at a feeder, or even near my pond, and don't move if approached.  In my pond, I found the carcass of one last week, one fresh one yesterday, and today I watched one gasping for breath on a rock next to the pond that died and fell in  just 15 minutes later.  I am very distressed.  No other specie seems affected.  Any ideas?

Susanne Shrader
birdgirrl at comcast.net