[CT Birds] AOU order change

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Tue Jul 24 16:03:35 EDT 2012

Back in the 1970s when the birding world was up in arms about the first big
bout of lumping and splitting (goodbye Baltimore Oriole, temporarily, etc.),
a wise and valued mentor took a deep pull on his pipe and said, "Greg, just
remember. The bird's haven't changed. Just the way we think about them."
Taxonomic changes haven't caused me a bit of consternation ever since.

They seldom have any affect on identification or enjoyment of birds (at
least if you've been paying attention to subspecies). In fact, since AOU
order (which many newer birders don't even know exists) is supposed to
reflect relationships, and the changes now derive to a large extent from DNA
analysis, you could just look at the whole process as correcting past
misjudgments :)

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury