[CT Birds] Interesting Osprey behavior

Stephen Broker ls.broker at cox.net
Wed Jul 25 10:01:46 EDT 2012

The recently posted comment on the gathering of nest material by Osprey is indeed interesting.  On Cape Cod, Black Locust is a common and widespread tree, often forming groves where houses stand or once stood.  Black Locust trees (which were introduced to southeastern New England) often have dead branches emerging from the crown, and they drop a great deal of dead wood through the seasons as well as live branches in strong winds.  Osprey routinely snap off dead locust branches (some of them quite large) while in flight and carry them some distances to their developing nests.  I see this in my Wellfleet yard each spring as adult Osprey rebuild or add to their nearby NSTAR tower nest.

Steve Broker
Cheshire, CT and Wellfleet, MA