[CT Birds] Whimbrel Milford

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 27 14:35:24 EDT 2012

Afterwards, Charlie & I had good views of a FORSTER'S TERN (probable 1st-year)
flying over the salt marsh as viewed from the Coastal Center's observation
tower.  And a Peregrine Falcon came bombing in to flush up the 1500+
Semipalmated Sandpipers on a nearby mudflat.

One other note:  This morning on the beach side, I was scoping through a tight
resting flock of Semipalmated Sandpipers, when I spotted a very RUSTY-BACKED
peep (definitely not a Sanderling) just before the flock took off.  I could
never relocate it.  Odds are it was a Western Sandpiper, but I can't rule out a
rarer species.

Frank Mantlik