[CT Birds] Orange-crowned Warbler… RIP

lpflynn at optonline.net lpflynn at optonline.net
Sat Jul 28 22:12:17 EDT 2012

Hi Steve,

On the other hand, free to roam pets/strays may simply be coming menu items for the ever expanding wildlife populations of Coyote, Bobcat, Fox, Fisher, Horned Owls and others.
Rabies and other disease that are commonly carried by wild life mammals are also a major concern for all free to roam house pets.
Allowing a house hold pet to roam free may at any point quickly turn into a death sentence for that family pet.
Folks, do what you have to do, but if you truly LOVE your pet, it should never be left out all alone to possibly face a showdown with a coyote or bobcat or rabid raccoon/skunk/fox and any of the others.
The pet will  lose, and his stuff happens everyday in CT.
Please understand that much of this wildlife has moved into almost all areas of CT, large tracts of forest are no longer needed  to support many of the above mentioned wildlife species.
Coyote for example has adapted very well with residential neighborhoods throughout the State.
They are a major threat to any small household pet and certainly to some of the bigger ones.
A thought, if Mountain Lions are for real in this state, how would the pet  Great Dane or Mastiff do against it?
Never mind an otherwise large house pet.

Larry Flynn