[CT Birds] hummingbird host plant

Amy Hopkins hopkinsus at cs.com
Mon Jul 30 21:20:03 EDT 2012

Jayne Neville at Mount Vernon Songbird Sanctuary highly recommends cuphea ignea (AKA cigar plant or firecracker plant) as a great plant for hummingbirds.  It's been hard to find previously, but this year Country Flower Farms in Middletown was selling it, so I bought some and planted it in a window box on my deck.  It's an annual.

Well, she certainly was right.  The hummingbirds are all over it!  Next year I'll be buying a lot more of it since the hummingbirds are really fighting over it now.

Amy Hopkins