[CT Birds] hummingbird host plant

jayne.neville at cox.net jayne.neville at cox.net
Tue Jul 31 11:13:44 EDT 2012

CT Birders and Amy!

-- Amy Hopkins <hopkinsus at cs.com> wrote:
> Jayne Neville at Mount Vernon Songbird Sanctuary highly recommends cuphea ignea

Yes that is a great plant loaded with tiny nectar filled tubular flowers and very easy to care for. The trick to planting for hummingbirds is to plant masses of plants grouped together. I have 11 cupheas planted in a retaining wall so there is much bang for the buck so to speak. Other top easy to grow hummingbird plants includethe family of salvias. Guaranitica is a great one -black and blue, and this year I tried purple majesty, but so far am very disappointed in this guaranitica don't recommend that variety! Another great salvia is coccinea - lady in red  or spanish dancer.

I just released a juvenile male ruby throat that came in as a nestling blown down in one of the storms. For the first time I did not need the flight cage that the bird had conditioned in so left the doors open and a feeder hanging inside. Much to my surprise at the end of the day, 7pm, as I was doing my last round I discovered the little peanut had re- entered the flight cage and was comfortably resting on one of its favorite perches with obvious intent of spending the night.

This A.m bright and early I prepared fresh captive mix hung the feeder and opened all the doors. One hour later the bird appeared at the hum flowers on the patio and sampled many, finally coming to rest in the adjacent mulberry. No sooner did the little guy perch when he was unceremoniously body slammed off the perch by the resident adult male.

Welcome to the world of hummingbirds little guy!!! Get your fight on! Be interesting to see if the bird returns to the flight cage again this evening.

Jayne

Jayne Neville
Mount Vernon Songbird Sanctuary
www.mvssanctuary.org