[CT Birds] Niantic River Swallows

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 15:57:35 EDT 2012

While taking a walk this morn I noticed that swallow numbers are increasing along the Niantic River opposite the Natl Guard Camp, north of the bridge.  They are also more plentiful in my Waterford neighborhood nearby.  At one point I counted 12 Tree Swallows on a power line right by the river and at least 20 or more were flying out over the water with 2 Barn Swallows mixed in.  There was also 1 E. Kingbird atop a tall tree sallying out for bugs.

Also 2 Chimney Swifts flying in with the swallows in my neighborhood.

I have at least 1 female and 2 male RT Hummers coming to my feeder but never at the same time.  They chase each other away.  Feisty little devils!  fun to watch.

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford
Sent from my iPad