[CT Birds] Unusual sightings out my window

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Fri Aug 3 19:19:11 EDT 2012

In the spring I hang up some cotton batting for birds to use for nesting material, and was thinking that it's about time to take it down.  To my surprise this morning I saw a pair of cedar waxwings visiting it repeatedly and carrying off material to my neighbor's pines.  I guess it's not to late to build a nest.  While watching them visit I also saw a juvenile downy woodpecker visit my hummingbird feeder and take a few sips of sugar water.  Even on these hot summer days you can see a lot of bird behavior from the comfort of air conditioning.
Jack Swatt