[CT Birds] Unusual Sightings...

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 07:32:38 EDT 2012

I have read that Cedar Waxwings nest later so the young will have the
advantage of ripening fruit and berries.  They also tend to nest near each
other so there may be other nests nearby.  I found a Waxwing nest in a bay
bush in front of our house in Maine, a lovely thing constructed mostly of
Usnea Lichen.  A stealthy investigation disclosed three other nests within
100 feet.  Some other birds nest a little later for similar reasons like
Goldfinches who use thistle down in their nests.  Neat find!
Congratulations!
--
Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut