[CT Birds] "Hendersoni" (prairie) Short-billed Dowitcher, 8/3

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 4 11:50:18 EDT 2012

8/3 Stratford, a private boat dock (I obtained permission to view) - 12
Short-billed Dowitchers, including one individual of the "hendersoni" (prairie)
race.  Also, 80 Greater Yellowlegs, 12 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Yellow-crowned
Night-Herons.

8/3  Stratford, Short Beach Park - There was a definite migration of Barn
Swallows this day.  I counted about 60 flying SW in 1/2 hour. Surprisingly I saw
no other species with them, though there were a couple Northern Rough-winged and
Bank at the nearby sewage treatment plant.  Usual large numbers of shorebirds
and terns continue on the bars at the mouth of the Housatonic River (viewed from
either Short Beach or Milford Point).

By the way, the water level at the Access Road pond has been too high for any
shorebirds this past week, though there have been 1-2 Wood Ducks and an
occasional Glossy Ibis there.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford