[CT Birds] unusual singing event...

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 4 12:10:31 EDT 2012

I have heard this fairly often with woodland birds. While hiking I have
heard countless instances of counter-singing species such as Thrushes,
Warblers, Nightjars, etc, do this. I surmise the periodicity of the phrase
repetition has more to do with the individual singer, with the interval of
silence being slightly shorter or longer from one individual to another. So
to borrow a phrase from electrical engineering, their songs move from being
"in phase" to being "out of phase" as they counter-sing. I also strongly
suspect a heightened level of agitation (male hormone related of course!) in
the singer may quicken the phrase repetition. In a related observation, I
have also noticed when calling to owls, such as Barred or Saw-whet, that
they will often start their answering call before I have finished my

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England