[CT Birds] Pine Grosbeak, mystery birds? Waterford

Patrick psmithct at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 5 06:48:28 EDT 2012

Is this even possible that I could have seen a Pine Grosbeak in August?  I had a bird smaller than a Robin - larger than a summer tanager - or Purple Finch - that was sitting on the shed under the Arborvitae.  From my position all I really had time to note was the definitely rosey colored breast.  Basically all rosey looking.  When I reached for my binocs - it disappeared.  Definitely Rosey, and not red.
Any ideas.
Also saw a bird that I thought must have been a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak, except that it had a dark bill, and dark flanks, hidden under wing from sight until flight.
Also thought for sure I had a Yellow-headed Blackbird, but had dismissed that idea after seeing the range maps.
Is the drought moving unusual birds farther east?
Patrick SmithWaterford, CT