[CT Birds] Grace Salmon Park - Western Sand etc

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 19:43:21 EDT 2012

Hi All,

A stop at Grace Salmon today provided for a large number, but not particularly diverse group of shorebirds. Mixed in with about 1000 Semipalmated Sandpipers was one Western. Apart from that maybe 50 Semipalmated Plovers and a smattering of other common shorebirds in very small numbers. In amongst the Semipalmated's was an adult bird that was flagged - I couldn't get a number from it but some quick online research seems like it may well have been banded on their wintering grounds in French Guinea or Suriname, which is cool. In amongst the adults Semi-Ps were a couple of juvenile birds which seem fairly early to me? Apart from that 2 Laughing Gulls, 2 Yellow-crowned Night-Herons and a couple of increasingly common Black Vultures over Route 7 in Wilton were the only other notables.

Luke Tiller, Wilton