[CT Birds] New Haven Harbor Female Bufflehead

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Tue Aug 7 17:50:05 EDT 2012

It looks like this may be the hen Bufflehead that was injured (wing
damaged) that has been hanging around in New Haven Harbor since
January. Not sure if it is, but the injured bird (probably shot and
not recovered during waterfowling season) that I saw on many occaions
in the Harbor had a damaged right wing. Looking at the bird in Mark's
high quality images appears to have a shreaded right wing; very unlike
a waterfowls normal moult which drops its primaries and secondaries.
The shreaded and worn wing remiges on this bird doesn't look like a
normal wing moult cycle. If the bird ended up flying....please
disregard! :^)

Keith Mueller    Killingworth