[CT Birds] Red-Tail Hawk behavior

mtdcon at comcast.net mtdcon at comcast.net
Wed Aug 8 10:58:51 EDT 2012

8/8, East Hartford backyard.

We have two red-tails in the woods just behind our house that have been almost constantly vocalizing for two weeks now. One

makes the standard, screeching kee-eeeee-arr call, but the other one makes a different sound entirely. I’m quite sure it is also a red-tail, but it makes a desperate-sounding, repetitive high-pitched screaming call, not unlike a seagull? Every morning they start, and it continues on and off throughout the day. Occasionally the screamer will make a few circles around the immediate neighborhood, as if sounding an alarm.

We are wondering if perhaps there are young in the nest that are causing the adults to warn others? I wouldn’t think they

would want to call attention to them, so not sure if that’s the case. I would love to know if anyone knows what all the ruckus

is about.

Jean, East Hartford